Welcome School Health Assistants
Thank you for all you do!
Health services are provided to the Brighton School District 27J through consultation from the Children’s Hospital Colorado, School Health Program. The school nurse consultant functions as a liaison between the Children’s Hospital, the community, and the school by providing information, referrals, and resources. The nurse consultant assists schools to provide the safest, evidence-based health care services within the school setting.
Each RN consultant covers several schools in the district and can be reached during school hours by cell phone.
The health office in each school building is staffed with a health assistant who is employed by the district to assist students with daily health needs.
Services provided by the School Health Assistant include
• Organizes and runs the school health office
• Provides basic First Aid
• Administers routine medications
• Works with RN Consultant and H/V team
• Maintains health files in infinite campus
• Monitors and documents immunization compliance of student body
• Notifies the RN of student health concerns or infectious diseases
• Maintains preschool documentation (office visits, screenings, immunizations)
• Maintains certification in CPR and First Aid; medication administration and performs health procedures as delegated
Services not provided by the School Health Assistant
• The health assistant cannot give medical opinions concerning students’ health
• The health office does not function as a clinic. If students need medical attention, parents will be advised to contact their health care provider
• The health office cannot give any medication to any child unless that child has permission for a particular medication from their healthcare provider and parent
• The health assistant cannot store or distribute medications for staff