"I never fail, I only succeed at what doesn't work."
Don't give up, persevere and work hard!
5th grade math is a combination of:
- Place Value
- Order of Operations
- Real World word problems
- Multi-step problems
- Fact Fluency (up to 12 x 12)
Addition of Fraction:
1. Find a common denominator in order to solve
- Find your multiples to make a common denominator
- use an area model
- butterfly method
2. Simplify if needed
- (you can do this by dividing the numerator by the denominator when the fraction is IMPROPER)
- (divide by a special one to simplify a regular fraction--> i.e.. what number goes into both the numerator and denominator)
Subtraction of Fractions:
1. Find a common denominator in order to solve (same as addition)
2. Borrow from the whole number if needed
- borrow from the whole number and add what your denominator is to the current numerator
3. Simplify if needed
Area Models (Expanded Notation)
Breaking up the factors being multiplied into their expanded form.
Ex: 21 X 6 would be--> (20 + 1) X (6)
Double and Half Method
In a multiplicatin problem you can double one number and half the other to get the same answer.
Ex: 8 X 12 --> 4 X 24 --> 2 X 48 --> 1 X 96
Multiply two numbers by using more friendly numbers.
Ex: 12 X 42 --> (10 + 2) X (40+2)
10 X 40 = 400
10 X 2 = 20
2 X 40 = 80
2 X 2 = + 4
Breaking up the dividend into expanded form then separating each expanded form into groups depending on the divisor.
Ex: 500 / 10
100 Divide 10 10 = 50
Other methods focused on in the classroom
Vertical Number Lines (Rounding)
*Use any method that works for you to solve! There is no one right way!