An industry certification is a credential recognized by business and industry at the local, state or national level. It could be an assessment, an examination or a license that is administered and recognized by an industry third-party or governing board. Industry certificates measure competency in an occupation, and they validate the knowledge base and skills that show mastery in a particular industry.
CTE - Post Secondary Education - Project Lead the Way
PLTW Engineering empowers students to step into the role of an engineer, adopt a problem-solving mindset, and make the leap from dreamers to doers. The program’ s courses engage students in compelling, real-world challenges that help them become better collaborators and thinkers.
PLTW Biomedical Science encourages student to tackle real world challenges in health care. Working with the same tools used by professionals in hospitals and labs, students engage in compelling, hands-on activities and work together to find solutions to problems.
Each PLTW course has 2 elements. Classroom Assignements and an end of course assessment. Students who successfully complete 6 credits in a single pathway will receive a certificate and fulfill their demonstration requirement. Students who complete the certificate, and who pass the end of course assessment, and who register and pay tuition and course fees, can receive College Credits from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs. PLTW Engineering courses are part of the AP + PLTW engineering pathway.
- Project Lead the Way Biomedical Science is offered at PVHS and RRHS.
- Project Lead the Way Engineering is offerd at PVHS, BHS, and RRHS
CTE - Colorado Workforce Development Council State Approved Industry Certifications
"Industry-based examinations will not replicate content in any core academic examinations, but will require students to demonstrate the ability to read, interpret, and understand complex technical materials written at or above a high school level. To function successfully in many career fields requiring certification, students must possess relevant knowledge and understanding of mathematics, language arts, government regulations and related sciences such as biology, chemistry, physics, health.... Knowledge of these disciplines is necessary for students to demonstrate sufficient depth of technical knowledge to answer the types of questions that practitioners within their respective fields would be expected to answer. "
"By including career/technical examinations as qualifying alternatives for certain high school exit examinations, states recognize that some students learn differently and that quality CTE studies — with intellectual rigor and embedded academic content — aligned with a coherent sequence of academic courses can advance academic and technical achievement. This recognition signals an important message to parents, students, educators and policymakers: Quality career/technical education (CTE) involves rich cognitive assignments that blend “hand work” and “brain work” into challenging learning experiences and foster greater motivation in CTE and academic courses."
- National Consortium for Health Science Certificate - This test is being piloted in our Anatomy and Physiology classes at BHS. Cost: $12 per student.
- Automotive Service Excellence (formerly NATEF) Student Certification This new series of automotive student certifications will be piloted this school year. Cost $35 per student for unlimited testing for a year. Location: BHS Automotive Program
- AP Computer Science Principles The AP Computer Science Principles Assessment consists of two parts: performance tasks and the end-of-course AP Exam. Both measure student achievement of the course learning objectives. The Create performance task focuses specifically on the creation of a computer program through the collaborative and iterative process of programming. The Explore performance task requires students to identify a computing innovation, explore its impact, and create a related digital artifact – ex. digital art, video – accompanied by a written response and finally the end of course exam the counts for 60% of a student's score. Location BHS, PVHS and planned for RRHS.
- Certiport Visual Design Using Photoshop The Adobe Certified Associate exams provide the education and certification students need to succeed. For those pursuing higher education in the digital media field, this certification provides prerequisite knowledge and skills. This exam is currently only offered at testing centers. Cost $140 (Schools can purchase a site license for $3500 for unlimited testing and practice)
- Certiport Graphic Design and Illustration using Adobe Illustrator The Adobe Certified Associate exams provide the education and certification students need to succeed. For those pursuing higher education in the digital media field, this certification provides prerequisite knowledge and skills. This exam is currently only offered at local testing centers. Cost $140 Schools can purchase a site license for $3500 for unlimited testing and practice
- High School of Business Certificate Students complete the sequence of 6 classes. No Assessment requirement however students will be required to participate in classroom assessments imbedded in the course. Cost: Free
- Colorado Department Of Nursing DORA Certified Nursing Assistant Students must pass classroom, clinical experience, testing and hands on skills exam. Currently only offered at BHS. Cost $200
- National Healthcare Association Phlebotomy: Phlebotomy Technicians are critical team members at hospitals, diagnostic laboratories and blood donor centers. With a certification, you’ll have the credentials you need to set yourself apart from other applicants as you embark on a rewarding healthcare career. Location: BHS, Cost $120 per student.
- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification-Word - This simulation is currently only offered at testing centers but offers the opportunity for students to demonstrate that they have grade level knowledge of how to create professional documents. Cost $90-$140 depending on testing center, practice and 2nd chances. Schools can purchase a site license for $3500 for unlimited testing and practice.
- NCCER/ OSHA 10 This hands on certification combines 50% observed skills and $50 tested knowledge in Applied Math and Communications with an online OSHA 10 Certification Cost: NCCER-Free/ OSHA 10- $25 Location: BHS, RRHS and Future plans RRHS.
CTE - Front Range Community College Stackable Certificates
At FRCC, you have choices. You can earn a two-year associate degree that will transfer to any public four-year school in Colorado. Or you can earn a two-year associate degree and short-term certificates that prepare you to start working. More than 100 certificates are offered at Front Range Community College, from Emergency Medical Services to Welding. The College has three campuses, in Westminster, Loveland and Fort Collins and a center in Brighton. in 2018 Prairie View High School was Accepted as an official site of Front Range Community College and began offering certificates in Welding and Health Care. The certificates you can earn vary by location. See available list of certificates, course requirement and where they are offered. Would you and your friends like to see a certificate offered in 27J Schools? Please contact the 27J Schools Director of Post Secondary and Workforce options and let him know.
Here are the certificates currently offered in 27J Schools:
- FRCC Oxyacetylene Welding Cost: $25, Cost Through FRCC: Tuition + books and Fees, Offered at PVHS and Monday course at PVHS)
- FRCC Welding Fundamentals Cost Through FRCC: Tuition + books and Fees (Monday and evening FRCC Course at PVHS )
- FRCC Phlebotomy Certification --This certification is offered at FRCC Westminster and will be offered at FRCC Brighton Center. Cost Through FRCC: Tuition + books and fees
- FRCC Small Business Management Certificate This program is being offered at FRCC Brighton Campus Cost: FRCC Tuition + books and fees.
- FRCC Patient Care Technician: Health Care Customer Service Basics Will be offered at PVHS mondays as a pilot 2nd semester and will be offered as a Thursday evening class at FRCC Brighton Center. Cost: PVHS: Free as part of 27J CE Scholarship, Brighton Center FRCC Tuition, Books and Fees.