Communication about inclement weather days
In the event of a virtual instruction day due to inclement weather, the district will use these methods to communicate effectively:
· Our school’s Blackboard messaging service will be used to send a recorded telephone message, text message and email to all employees and the parent/guardian of each student.
· Information will be shared on local television stations (Channels 4, 7, 9 and 31).
· The announcement will be posted on the district website as well as the 27J App. We recommend you visit the district website first.
Timing of the announcement
The decision to implement a virtual instruction day will be made as early as possible - preferably the night before. Sometimes conditions change overnight. In the event of rapidly changing weather conditions, a weather announcement may be made on the day of the cancellation. In those instances, we will try to send the notification by 6:00 a.m.
1. School Closures:
Decisions about weather-related school closures are made by 6:00 a.m. Parents and staff will be notified by email, by phone, and information will be posted on the 27J website, social media (Facebook) and local media outlets will also be notified.
Closure days will likely be no-school days. However, there may be some instances where the district may decide to do a remote learning day (i.e. multi-day snowstorm preventing access to schools, natural disaster impacting a school or schools, etc.).
When schools are closed, all school activities and athletics are cancelled.
2. Delayed start - 2 hours later than normal:
Delayed start decisions are usually made by 6:00 a.m. Parents and staff will be notified by email, phone and information will be posted on the 27J website and Facebook. Regional media outlets will also be notified.
· Bus pick up times: Buses will pick up students at bus stops two (2) hours later than the regular schedule. Road conditions may increase travel time for buses and students may have a longer wait time at bus stops.
· Drop off and arrival times: Students who walk to school, are dropped off or who drive should arrive two (2) hours later than regular arrival times. Please do not arrive earlier.
· Preschool. Morning-only programs are cancelled during a delayed start schedule. Afternoon Preschool programs follow normal schedules.
· Beehive (Before-and After-School) Childcare will open at the normal time for students who attend the program.
· School dismissal times: Schools will dismiss students at normal times. Bus drop-off times in neighborhoods and parent pick-up times at schools will also be on regular schedule.
· Breakfast: Breakfast will not be served.