- Southlawn Elementary
Letter from Mrs. D - August 15 - End of Day Dismissal Procedure
We are grateful to all of you for bearing with us through the various transitions we encountered in our first two days of the school year. That said, we want to address our End of Day Dismissal process. Teachers communicated the pick-up location for your child/children in their welcoming letter. However, our Leadership Team came together last week and decided to make some changes for a smoother dismissal for all stakeholders. Below are details about how Southlawn Elementary Dismissal will occur moving forward.
Tuesday, August 15, 2023, at 3:30 pm. All students will dismiss from the back of the building unless arranged and approved by the front office/administration 30 minutes before dismissal.
K-1st grades will come out the South Door.
- Kindergarten Students will line up on the artificial turf facing North behind their teacher's cone, identifiable by the teacher's name on a yardstick.
- 1st Grade Students will line up facing West along the 4 Square Games on the cement behind their teacher's cone, identifiable by the teacher's name on a yardstick.
2nd-4th grades will come out of the West Doors
- 2nd-4th Grade Students will line up along the 4 Square Games on the cement facing west behind their teacher's cone, identifiable by the teacher's name on a yardstick.
5th graders will come out of our North Cafeteria Doors
- 5th Grade Students will line up on the side of the Playground Fence facing South behind their teacher's cone, identifiable by the teacher's name on a yardstick.
If you pick your student up from their teacher, your student will need to give their teacher a high five to confirm the teacher knows you are picking them up. If your student is walking home, riding the school bus, or going to after-school care (Beehive), please tell your student’s teacher if you have not already done so.
Additionally, to make our staff more visible, we will all wear fluorescent vests outside, so if you need any help locating your child or your child’s classroom, please ask any staff member, and we will gladly assist you. If a student is not picked up by 3:40 pm, the teacher will take the student to the front office for pick up. Also, as a building safety precaution, all visitors must enter through the main office.
- 3:30 End of Day Dismissal from the classroom
- Kindergarten students and bus riders will leave the classroom at 3:25
- Please do not block the exit doors as our students and staff are leaving the building
- Parents will high-five the teachers to let the teacher know the parent/guardian is picking up the student.
- If you need to check in with your child’s teacher, please wait until all students are picked up by their parents/guardians to begin this conversation.
- All students will be dismissed from the back of the school (unless the office staff or administration has approved prior arrangements)
- No dogs on the school campus
- Cones will be placed at the end of the school driveway on the North side of the building to ensure our students and staff can safely dismiss from the building.
- Students who have not been picked up by 3:40 will be taken to the office by their teacher.
Thank you so much for cooperating as we work together to keep our students safe!
Candice Degrafinried-Reese, Principal