Return to school information
Back To School Student Check-In Information for 2022-23
Welcome to Brighton High School for the 2022-23 school year. We are very excited to begin the new school year and to welcome you all back to BHS. As we begin the school year, we will be focusing on building strong connections between students & staff, staff & parents/guardians, and students with one another while preparing all of our students to meet the new graduation requirements, complete their ICAP (Individual Career Academic Plan), make future career and/or college plans and challenge themselves academically this school year. We are also excited to continue “No Place For Hate” which will focus on our school values and beliefs, thus making BHS a safe and inclusive school for ALL students.
Below you will find important information pertaining to the start of the school year. Most of your questions should be answered by this document, however, after you have read this information, the attached links and visited the BHS website, you are still needing more information or have follow-up questions, please call the main office at 303-655-4250 or email Nicole Blair at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to answer your questions. We look forward to working with each of you to help make your school year a success.
Last November our voters approved a bond election that will be used to construct a CTE (career and technical education) center on our campus as well as Riverdale Ridge and Prairie View. This new CTE center will house a lot of our current programs (Welding, CNA & Phlebotomy, ProStart & Culinary Arts, Engineering, Construction Trades, etc) allowing them to expand into a larger much needed space. Construction has begun on our campus and there will be some important changes to note. The BHS website will have the most up to date construction information as well as videos and access to cameras to watch the construction in progress. We will also be hosting a community information session where you will be able to learn more about the construction and how it will impact our campus and school year.
Students and visitors - please DO NOT enter any of the fenced off construction areas. These areas are dangerous and hard hats are required at all times.
- Community Construction Information Night - BHS Auditorium - August 4th - 6:30pm to 7:30pm
- Student parking changes - due to the construction, we had to eliminate some parking in the student lot. To accommodate this loss, we have re-striped Ron Cox Blvd to add additional parking and it is now a 1 way street, going South. Additional parking is available at the swimming pool.
- Temporary Entrance Change - while BHS is under construction, students and those attending after school events who are entering the school from the student parking lot will now enter through the double doors outside of the Gamble Gym.
Here are a few of the important dates that are coming up soon. More details and events can be found on the BHS Website.
August 4th - CTE Construction Information Night - BHS Auditorium - 6:30pm - 7:30pm
August 5th - Parking permits will be issued to 12th and 11th grade students from 8:10am to 11:00 and then 1:00pm to 4pm. Sophomores will be allowed to purchase parking permits as spaces are available once school starts. Parking permits will be required in order to park in the swimming pool parking lot as well. The requirements and guidelines are located HERE.
- Freshman Orientation - 8:30am to 4:32pm (only 9th graders attend) and lunch will be available for purchase in the Dawg Diner and buses will run as usual.
- 9th grade students will get their school pictures and ID taken
- 9th grade students will receive their chromebooks
- Back to School Meet & Greet in the BHS Lobby for all students and families - 5:30pm to 7:00pm
August 11th- First day of classes for ALL Students - 8:30am to 4:32pm
- 10th-12th grade students will get their school pictures and ID taken
- 10th-12th grade students will receive their chromebooks during Advisory
September 6th - Picture retake day
Back to School Student Check-In Requirements - Start Here
- Complete These Requirements
- Register/Enroll your students to attend BHS? We do not hold a traditional registration at Brighton High School. Instead, students & parents simply need to review all of the information, links and steps outlined here and on the BHS website.
- If your students attended a District 27J middle school or charter school last year and are within the BHS boundaries they have automatically been enrolled to attend BHS. You do not need to do anything except:
- Update your contact and emergency contact information
- Review the student dress code & attendance policies
- Read the media release & technology usage agreement.
- Log in to IC (Infinite Campus to see your current class schedule - schedules will be available on August 5th. Your same log-in credentials from middle school should still be active. Parents, if you need IC access, please contact the main office and one of the secretaries will provide you with the necessary information and credentials.
- If your student is enrolled at BHS but will not be attending BHS in August, you must contact our registrar, Kathy Vickery at 303-655-4157 as soon as possible to withdraw them.
- Currently all submitted open enrollments have been reviewed and approved or denied at this time. Please keep in mind that we are still building schedules for some of the newly enrolled students so please be patient as we work to complete these schedules.
- Update Contact Information or emergency contact on your Infinite Campus portal
- Submit any health action or medication forms - Link to Health Services Resources: Health Services Forms
- Review the School Lunch section for information about adding money to your students lunch account or applying for the Free or Reduced lunch program
- Review the District 27J Dress Code Policy
- Review the District 27J Attendance Policy
- Read the District Media Release and Technology Use Agreement. If you wish to opt out please complete this form. Student Media Release Opt-OUT form.
Student Fees & Class Schedules
- Student Fees for 2022-23 - You can use the 2022-23 HS Fee Schedule to estimate your student fees, based on your student’s grade, athletic participation and class schedule so you can begin to plan and/or save to pay your fees once they have been allocated. Fees will not be allocated until October 1, 2022 this year and are due once they have been allocated in the Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
REMINDER: students are required to pay fees in full in order to participate in sports and activities, purchase a parking permit, attend field trips, as well as walk in the graduation ceremonies. Please make plans to take care of all student fees, in full, once allocated.
- Class Schedules - Students, you and your parents can view your current class schedules by logging in to IC (Infinite Campus) student/parent portal starting on the afternoon of August 5th. If you are a returning student, the credentials you used last year are the same to access IC this year. To login to IC, your student ID number is your username and your password is the first initial of your first and last name followed by your 6 digit date of birth. (Example: John Smith born 01/02/97 would be js010297). If you have questions or need assistance accessing IC, please call 303-655-4250. Parents, if you need IC access, please contact the main office and one of the secretaries will provide you with the necessary information and credentials.
- All Students are assigned to an Advisory period. They will meet twice a week. Grades will be based upon attendance and participation. Students will earn a .5 credit each semester for Advisory.
- All 9th grade students are required to have a FULL SCHEDULE (7 periods plus advisory - NO EXCEPTIONS). 9th grade schedules will NOT be changed.
- Schedule Repairs - Due to the complexity of our schedule and the large number of students enrolled in all of our classes, we CANNOT rearrange or change schedules.
- WE WILL NOT CHANGE: Teachers, lunch hours, or class periods.
- WE MAY MAKE REPAIRS TO STUDENT SCHEDULES ONLY FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- A course you selected is full or has a conflict
- You did not select enough courses for a full schedule
- You are missing a core required class - English, Math, Science, Social Studies
- Duplicate class
- Wrong placement/missing prerequisite
If your schedule requires a correction, email your counselor and explain, in detail, the issue. Changes WILL NOT be made for a particular lunch hour, or off hour.
Please be sure to double check your schedule on Infinite Campus prior to the first day of classes as there may be some updates to classroom or teacher assignments.
Email requests should be made August 6th - August 10th.
A - Cop Ms. Alba email@example.com
Cor - Go Mrs. Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Gr - L Mr. Sullivan email@example.com
M - Pam Mrs.Shedeed firstname.lastname@example.org
Pan - Sc Mrs. Woodford email@example.com
Se - Z Mrs. Crowell firstname.lastname@example.org
Transportation & School Lunches
- Student Transportation
- 27J Busing: Please contact the 27J Transportation Department for information on bus routes and to sign up your student for transportation services. CLICK HERE for 27J Online Transportation Registration.
- Family drop off: Families may choose to drive their student(s) to school. Please use the drop off area located in the circle drive on the West side of the building off of 8th Ave. Students should not arrive on campus before 8:00am and must be picked up by 4:50pm (unless they are participating in afterschool activities). Doors do not open until 8:10 am. Please, DO NOT park or drop off/pickup students in the bus loading/unloading zones located on the east side of the building.
- Students Driving & Parking on Campus: Students who are of legal driving age and possess a valid Colorado driver's license and vehicle insurance are permitted to drive themselves to school. It is a privilege to park on the BHS campus. Students who wish to park on BHS property must obtain a BHS Student Parking Permit. Parking Permits are $60.00 and are non-refundable. They will be issued to students who meet the following criteria:
- Current Student
- Have ALL outstanding student fee balances paid in full
- Show proof of current up to date insurance and registration for the vehicle they will be driving
- Show a valid Colorado driver’s license
There are a limited number (300) of student parking spots at BHS and they are on a first come first serve basis. Parking permits are $60 for the school year. Parking permits will be issued to 12th and 11th grade students on August 5th from 8:10am to 11:00 and then 1:00pm to 4pm. Sophomores will be allowed to purchase parking permits as spaces are available. The requirements and guidelines are located HERE.
*The safety of your students is important to us and we need your assistance to make sure our students arrive and depart from school in a safe manner. Please encourage your students to use all crosswalks - do not cross streets in the middle. Families please do not stop in the middle of the street to drop off students. Please pull up to the curb and safely stop your vehicle before dropping off or picking up students.
- School Lunches - During the pandemic, we were able to feed all students breakfast and lunch for free through USDA waivers. The USDA has NOT continued the waivers to feed all students, so beginning in August, school meals will no longer be free for all students. Meal benefit applications are available online and at the Nutrition Services Office. Applications will be available here at BHS the first of August.
- In order to qualify for fee waivers, families still need to complete the application for free or reduced lunches, please click this link to access the FREE and REDUCED APPLICATION
School Supplies, Lockers & Chromebooks
- School Supplies - BHS does not have a designated school supply list. Each teacher will provide information to their students about the types of supplies that will be needed for their class. For the first few days of school, we recommend all students bring a backpack containing a pen/pencil, a spiral notebook, and a folder.
- Lockers - Due to the small number of lockers we have available, we will not be assigning students lockers. Any student who would like a locker must go to the main office to request a locker.
- Chromebooks - District 27J is a One-2-Web platform for instruction and learning for our students to ensure they have access to the tools and resources essential to learning for 2040 and beyond. All students at BHS will be issued Chromebooks enabling them to access all educational tools inside the classroom as well as at home. Students will NOT be issued textbooks in most of the core content classes, as all of the materials for these classes are being migrated to digital resources in 27J. Technology will be used when it is the best educational tool for the learning situation. Teachers will still use the best research based instructional practices to expose students to a variety of learning experiences in order to prepare them for post secondary readiness.
Chromebooks will be issued to freshmen starting on August 10th in their Advisory class and 10-12th grade students on August 11th in their Advisory class.
A $55 per year fee for use, maintenance, insurance and licensing will be assessed to all students. To offset this fee, many core class fees have been eliminated or reduced. Detailed student care information on the 27J issued chromebooks are available HERE.